Friday, November 22, 2013

It's Friday! How about a drink? Sloe Gin Fizz

I'm from Portland, Oregon so when the song Portland, Oregon came out by Loretta Lynn and Jack White I was naturally a fan, the lyrics start like this:

"Well, Portland Oregon and sloe gin fizz
If that ain't love, then tell me what is, uh huh, uh huh"

As a Portland girl this song grabbed my attention, after all I like my home, I like fizz, and I like gin... but what on earth is a sloe? (Sounds like slow) I decided to start a journey that required me to look for liquor in two shops before enjoying this Loretta Lynn inspired cocktail.

If you are wondering why you have never heard of a sloe gin but Loretta Lynn has, it's because it's a really old drink. It was popular before prohibition in America, and then received a resurgence in the 1950's. I was not alive during either of these periods.

To start out with let's talk about sloe. Sloe (Prunus spinosa) also known as a blackthorn bush is a bush that grows in the UK.

The berries themselves are astringent, but they make a tasty cordial. If you happen to have some sloe sitting around you can make your own sloe gin by following direction here: 

http://www.choosy-beggars.com/index.php/2011/01/27/what-to-drink-this-week-sloe-gin/

But I don't, so instead I bought this:
and this:
Made Simple Syrup- It was simple!
1/4 cup sugar 1/2 cup water. Cook until dissolved and chill for any time you want to get your drink on.
If you don't want to make that much, or way way more the recipe is simple. 1 to 2 ratio. 1 part sugar, 2 parts water.

And made this:
Sloe Gin Fizz
1 oz slow gin
1 oz gin
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
3-4oz soda water
Add everything but the soda water to a martini shaker and shake with a few ice cubes. Then pour into a glass and top with soda water. The idea is to pour the soda water in a way that it fizzes.

Let's be honest- I made a pitcher of this drink to share, and drank it on Tuesday. And Wednesday. And Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment