Monday, July 23, 2012

A Scone story- When mistakes make happy new discoveries.

Last night I made mini cream scones.This was the first time I’ve made scones in my stand mixer was amazed by what quick work it made of scone making. Before scones took forever to mix by hand with knives or a pastry cutter that they were slightly labor intensive, but still worth it. I’m just thankful it’s easier now. I can simply whip up a batch! (If you are mixing by hand, I’ve found the best way to go is to actually use your hands by squeezing the meal through your fingers to make the course meal.)

I’ve also made a mistake by not really following the recipe last night. I’ve made scones so many times that I figured I didn’t really need to read directions, and instead ended up with something kind of new.  A traditional scone requires you to chop the butter into small bits, and blend the chilled butter in with the flour to make a course meal first, and then add the milk or cream to your scone. I made a happy mistake last night by being lazy and not really chopping the butter up as fine, and adding the half and half in too soon while the butter wasn’t exactly incorporated into a course meal. It created scones that had layers akin to “Grand’s Biscuits” only with the flavor and crumb of a scone.  Because we were playing cards I decided it was best to do well of jam in the middle of each scone instead of serving jam at the table. Less mess with all the same flavor. They were gone by the evening end and left me wanting more today. So more I made.

Here is the recipe below:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter (3 tablespoons cut into pea size pieces and 3 tablespoons cut larger.)
1 cup half and half
Jam- either home canned for store bought works, but I find light sugar works best.

Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add in chilled butter and mix a few times until about half of it is a course meal. Add in half and half and mix until just combined. Large chunks of butter will remain.

Turn out onto a floured board and form into four equal round balls. Cut through the center of each ball to divide into 4ths to make mini scones. Either keep triangle shape, or form into rounds and place on ungreased baking sheet.

In each scone make a small well with your index finger and thumb. Spoon in a dollop of jam into each scone. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

 Makes 16 mini scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment