Friday, May 25, 2012

Lemon curd- If licking the bowl is wrong, I don't want to be right!

First of all I have to report lemon curd is REALLY simple to make! I was really intimidated by it my first time around, but it's so simple you'll be amazed how quickly you say "wow that's it?"

The first recipe I made was out of a cookbook called, Let's Do Tea by Nada Lou and Verna Maire.

Mrs. Burn's Lemon Curd
Into a double boiler over simmering water:
3 beaten eggs
Grated rind of 2 large lemons and the juice
1 cup of sugar
Beat in gradually 1/2 cup real butter, softened.
Stir until thick and the curd coats the back of the stirring spoon. Store in the fridge.

This recipe is great, and simple- but it's really sweet! REALLY SWEET! and I don't know about you, but I really don't want super sweet lemon curd, I want lemony lemon curd. So I cut the sugar down to 2/3 a cup. But it still wasn't right. After making it about 5 times I've ended up with my own recipe below.

5 large eggs beaten
3 Large lemons, zested and juiced
1/3 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (this helps bring out the flavor so you need less sugar)
1/2 cup butter cubbed and added in gradually

Cook in a double boiler (a fancy name for a bowl over a pan of boiling water) until the mixture becomes thick and coats the spoon. Store in clean jars, or tupperware in the fridge.


This was so good I have to admit that I licked the bowl  after I got all of this jarred and stored.

No comments:

Post a Comment