Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mushroom stroganoff- a broccoli adventure


I came across a recipe contest from www.gratitudegourmet.com in regards to a vegetarian or vegan recipe using broccoli. This really got me thinking about how I eat broccoli. I basically only eat it four ways.

1)      In a stir fry

2)      Roasted in the oven with olive oil

3)      In a baked potato.

4)      In soup

It made me realize it's reallytime to expand the ways I cook broccoli. I started thinking about what I think of when I think of broccoli, warm comforting soups on cold nights, steaming baked potatoes in the dead of winter. To me broccoli is a comfort food, so what better way to serve it then in mushroom stroganoff?

Serves 4 adults

4 servings of Egg noodles (or 1/2 small package

2 tablespoon Coconut oil or butter

2 tablespoon flour  

1/2 sweet white onion

2 cloves garlic

10-15 button mushrooms diced chopped into small chunks

2 cups vegetable stock

2 cups fresh broccoli florets broken into small pieces

1 tablespoon fresh parsley

1 cup Greek yogurt


Cook 4 servings of egg noodles in boiling water until nearly tender. Drain and set aside.

While noodles are cooking:

Add oil and flour to a heavy bottom skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes until flour is no longer raw.
Add onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add 2 cups of vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper.
 Allow pot to simmer for about 15 minutes until flavors come together. Stir in broccoli and allow to cook for about 3 minutes, or until broccoli just turns bright green.
Stir in egg noodles, parsley and Greek yogurt and serve warm.

This stroganoff turned out filling, hearty and full of flavor. The meat in this meal isn't really missed due to the hearty meaty flavor and texture of mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment